Gerard Depardieu has insisted he is innocent after being charged with rape and sexual assault.

The 72-year-old actor feels “very relaxed” despite it was revealed that he will be tried earlier this week after he was accused of molesting a young actress twice at his home in 2018.

He told the Italian newspaper La Repubblica: “I am innocent.

“There is no proof, there is nothing against me and that’s why I’m very relaxed.

“I can only deny all allegations as clearly as possible, as I did before the investigators.”

The nameless 22-year-old woman’s allegations were originally dismissed by the judges after nine months of investigation, and actor “Cyrano de Bergerac” is confident that he “has nothing to fear” when on trial.

He said: “For me the investigation was closed for lack of evidence. In court I will confirm my innocence. I am innocent and have nothing to fear.”

Depardieu – who will next appear before a judge on March 10 – expressed his “sadness and confusion” about reporting on the charge.

He said: “[I had] a sense of sadness and confusion over a completely unfounded story and all the media hype sparked off by an investigation I considered closed …

“”[We live in] An era characterized by a continuous and inconsiderate flow of information on the Internet. “

The woman was allegedly raped in August 2018 after visiting the star’s home as a family friend of the “Green Card” actor.

However, Depardieu claimed it was a “friendly relationship” and he had offered her career advice as a good friend of her father’s.

Her lawyer, Elodie Tuaillon-Hibon, insisted that the woman’s “privacy” be respected throughout the case and called for “privacy” for the actress.

Hervé Temime, Depardieu’s lawyer, said he regretted “that this information was released” and confirmed that the actor was currently on bail.

The woman initially filed a complaint in Aix-en-Provence, southern France, but after nine months of investigation, the case was closed “with no evidence of crime”.

As part of this, Dépardieu met with the victim in a police-set up meeting before the case was dismissed in June 2019.